"God created man. God created big men, and small men. Man created Jiu Jitsu. Jiu Jitsu makes us all equal."

- Unknown

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Brazilian Bacteria, My Favorite

So I've been trying to do two classes a day for the past weeks, five weeks that is, and I have started to have an issue with some elite strain of brazilian bacteria.  If this bacteria did jiujitsu it would be Rickson Gracie.  I have Rickson Gracie bacteria on my leg, this stuff doesn't tap.  It started out as a few bug bites which I think that I scratched in the night while I slept and opened them up.  Now its not contagious and Dennis said that he deals with the same thing.  I guess it's an on going battle for Gringos. 

I think part of the problem is that I have harry legs and you are basically soaked in sweat within five minutes of training here due to the heat and humidity.  Those conditions combined with the gi pants makes my leg hair easily pulled on when people try and get their grips.  I think that a lot of it has to do with my hair folliciles getting infected.  It's not all open wounds, some of it is just red marks, which I would get back home after training sessions, however here some of them actually open and that gets a bit distrubing.  But I felt better when Dennis showed me his leg and said that it is common for people who did not grow up in Brazil to be very suseptable to this kind of bacteria. 

No worries though,


I got a bottle of Iodine and have been taking care of business. I use that and anti bacterial soap along with a clean gi everytime I train, which if you plan on doing two a days everyday you need like five gis, and things seem to be under control.  It definitely has been a pain in the butt though.  I think as soon as I get home Im going to go to a dermatoligist and get something for the next time we come down here.

On a different note, Brooke and our house cat Pimenta have become best friends.  This is very funny because both wine till you feed them and want a lot of attention...j/k brooke.

 
I left for training on Thursday morning and Brooke stayed in and when I got back Pimenta had taken my side of the bed.  Brooke's even allergic to cats.  I can't believe this.

1 comments:

Jason Kacz said...

Nice!! It's good to be a gringo in Brazil!!! First the water and now bacteria! At least you have a cat to sleep with LOL!

Post a Comment